Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Locking Dead

This last weekend, we were driving Gia and her cousin to a book reading at The Bookery Nook. I guess some lady writes children's books, and wanted to read some of them out loud to kids. Anyway, on our way there, I drove passed a cemetery (1).  As I was driving by, I pointed and said, "See all those things over there? They are called head stones, and that is called a cemetery. That is where they bury dead people, and each of those stones has a person's name on it, and the date that they were born and when they died."

The girls looked over and made "oohs" and "aahhs." After driving for another mile or so, Gia asks, in a very small voice, from the back seat, "Daddy? Do the dead bodies get up at night time and walk around?" We've been watching a lot of zombie shows/movies over the last year. I answered, "No hunny, they stay in the ground the whole time. That is just something you see on TV. No dead bodies get up." She said, "No, I think they do get up." I told her that I was sure that they wouldn't get up, and I'd even take her to a cemetery at night and prove it to her.

After the Princess book reading, I pulled over at the same cemetery to let her get a closer look at all the head stones. I did make a small parenting mistake when I explained, "See all those words? Each grave has your name and your birthday on it so people know who you are and when you lived." Gloria quickly corrected me by saying, "It's not your name that is on there sweety (and glaring at me), it's other people's names."

Gia started at the cemetery for a while, then woke her cousin up so she could look too. Then, right as I'm about to start driving again, Gia lets out a startled gasp and says, "Dad! Look! I just saw someone get up and start walking around!"

"You did not!"

"Yes I did Dad! They're right there!" (pointing)

At this point I leaned into the back seat so I could see what she was seeing. I scanned as far away as I could to see if there happened to be a person actually walking around the cemetery at the time. I couldn't see anything but a flag waving in the distance. "Gia, there is no one there. I see a flag and that's it. Maybe you just saw your reflection in the window."

Her cousin piped in, "Where?! I don't see nobody!"

We asked Gia if she saw a boy or girl, but that tripped her up and Gloria determined that she was making it up. We had to check though, because we were afraid that she really could see dead people, and didn't want to torment her. Just in case.






Tonight, Gloria was putting Gia to bed, when they started their regular bed time routine. Only tonight, Gia really upped the ante.

Gia: "Mom, can you sleep with me tonight?"
Gloria: "No baby, you sleep in here like a big girl. All by yourself."
"No, sleep in here with meeee, moooom."
"Not tonight. Maybe tomorrow; but tonight you sleep in here by yourself."
"Mom, you have to stay in my room."
"Not uh, I'm going to sneak out when you're not looking."
"No you're not!"
"Yes I will. I'm going to sneak right out."
"No you won't, I'll lock you in."
"You will not!"
"Yes I wiiiiiill!"

Then Gia went to the door, locked it from the hall side, and closed the door with them both in the room.

Gloria had to yell for me a few times before I heard her and could come to her rescue. We were both totally surprised that Gia thought to do that. We were also just as glad that I was home when she decided to do it. Now there is a key hiding on top of the door jam in case Gia decides to be funny when there is only one of us home, or we're both in the room.

As soon as we figure out how to do a guest blog. Gloria is going to come on here and make a Guest Entry and show the picture of Gia eating her first ever chicken wings with me. She used to not tolerate ANY level of spice. This was huge for us.

(1) There are no "a's" in cemetery.

1 comment:

GloSanGia2K8 said...

As I kept telling her how I was going to sneak out, I was doing the "bwwaahahaha evil laughter" and we were all grins and giggles about how I was going to sneaky sneak right out of her room once she fell asleep and I felt pretty confident that I would. In her just as confident baby laughter Gia told me I was not going to sneak out because she was going to keep me in her room. I told her she could not and she reassured me that yes, she could because she would simply lock me in. Several minuter later, after reading a book and more laughter and no sleeping, I threatened to leave unless she closed her eyes and stopped all the giggling and wiggling. She did not object as she usually does and just watched me go to the door with this look on her face like "Yea ok mom, try and leave and see how you can't!" and a very smug, satisfied little smirk.
I pull the doorknob and sure enough, she had locked me in!!!!
I busted into laughter as did she before I called Stuart to come unlock the door for us!

"I told you mommy I was gonna lock you in!" Gia is such a clever
little child!